With Christmas approaching, one of the greatest usual problems that can emerge among separated parents is seeking consent to take their youngster on vacation or visit family overseas.

Why is approval so vital?

We all understand the likelihood of child kidnapping to another country is a real exceptional worry and not something to be taken lightly. In the UK, if a child under the age of 18 years is taken overseas with no written authorization of everyone with a parental role for that youngster, the mother or father may be found guilty of kidnapping and will either be imprisoned or fined, with guidance from family law Manchester experts or others around the UK.

When traveling overseas, inspections are in place to lessen the possible likelihood of child kidnapping. These inspections while essential can also add worry and stress to a trip especially for families with different surnames or separated parents. For instance, if a separated parent proceeds with a toddler whose surname is distinct from their name, they should not be alarmed or surprised if customs officials talk directly to their youngster and ask them queries to attempt and gauge their response. This is to ensure they are not frightened or under duress.

Get permission and strategize ahead

The extra query by customs officials can add worry and stress to the trip and may lead to missed flights and delays. It would thus be wise for separated parents who may have a distinct surname to their youngster, make sure they have the necessary consent and strategize ahead by utilizing these five easy steps. Five steps to a stress-free trip overseas are:

  • Obtain written consent

Acquire written authorization from the toddler’s other parent or those with parental role. In a case where you have a Child Arrangement Order which declares that a toddler is going to stay with you, then you may ordinarily take him overseas for up to 28 days without obtaining consent unless the law court claims otherwise.

  • Identity establishing your previous surname

If you previously had a similar family name as your toddler, you can bring with you any old or expired identification you possess showing this.

  • Duplicate of your toddler’s birth certificate

A photocopy of your youngster’s birth certificate is helpful to own. This is because it will be complemented to a visa by a customs official, and thus they’ll be notified if your designation has changed.

  • Duplicate of your wedding certificate

A photocopy of your wedding certificate describing your title and that of your child’s separated parent will be needed as they will reveal the names before the wedding.

  • Change of name deed.

The alteration of name deed if relevant will disclose to the officials that the title has deliberately been altered.

Are there any rules with travelling abroad with children after a relationship separation?